Is it possible to remember 9/11 and appropriately honor those directly affected and yet look for a new ways to respond, ways that seek healing instead of vengeance? I hope so.
In the six years that have passed since September 11, 2001, here’s what I’ve learned about America:
- America doesn’t have to go to comics books to find heroes. America’s heroes are found in the form of fire-fighters, police, high rise workers, and even airline passengers.
- When you kick America, all America feels it. Americans forget about “red state this” or “blue state that.” Instead, Americans pull together and become red, white, and blue.
- When you kick America, America kicks back — hard. America won’t be intimidated by terrorism. Instead, America aims to eliminate it.
I learned those lessons immediately. Other lessons took longer:
- America has a short memory of wrongs done to it. America prefers to befriends and rebuilds its past enemies. America doesn’t harbor grudges for millennia.
- Unfortunately, some of its enemies do.
- When America fights a war without hardship at home, Americans stop believing they’re at war.
- When the American government is able to thwart terrorist attacks for six years, Americans stop believing that terrorists would still like to hit America. Some even stop believing terrorists hit America on 9/11.
- Americans like to believe that everyone else is like they are: valuing liberty, democracy, civil liberties, and freedom.
- When faced with evidence to the contrary, many Americans prefer to believe that the American government is evil, that this war is make believe, and that no threat exists.
I’m thankful we haven’t had a serious terrorist attack on our soil these past six years. I hope America remembers:
- We Americans have much more in common with other than we have differences.
- Preserving/maintaining/defending America is more important than a political party or an election.
- We can work together to find solutions, and that we must work together to be successful.
This time the Bushies bombed an elevated roadway leading to the Bay Bridge near San Francisco after a gasoline tanker “crashed and exploded in a fireball that melted the eastbound connector ramp” or so the “official story” goes.
I’m waiting for the video from nearby traffic cams that shows the dust cloud jetting out from under the collapsing ramp. What would you bet that the tapes are “not unavailable”?
It’s clear the Bushies chose this location, just across the bay from San Francisco, to send Nancy Pelosi a message. Have they no shame?! Oh, the humanity…
Impeach Bush! Flog Rove!!
Updated: Site of the bomb blast is linked below:
View Overpass Collapse in a larger map
Update 2: CHP released the driver’s name: James Mosqueda–clearly a Jewish name. The plot thickens.