Our family has a tradition of visiting the Oregon Coast to start the new year. This year’s visit was a combination anniversary and birthday celebration with outstanding weather as part of the present.
December had some unseasonably cold temperatures. But there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
My December Bicycling Accomplishments
- I reached the biking 2,000 milestone in a single year milestone. The next day, thanks to a beheaded spoke and a flat tire,1 I broke my streak of not commuting to work by car since sometime in May. Coincidence?
- I biked in sub-freezing temperatures and snow.
- I carried my camera, taking some of my favorite shots of the year. If I had commuted by car, I wouldn’t have stopped to capture any of these shots.
My 2013 Bicycling Accomplishments
- I biked 2,162 miles this year!
- My family gave me a new bike for Father’s day — thank you, family! (I’m not sure how that’s an accomplishment for me, but it’s certainly a major bicycling event.)
- We planned a vacation around bicyling (I think my family knew…), resulting in my biking 50 miles in a day, 200 miles in a week and 405 miles that month.
- I lost 20 pounds. Pretty much without trying.2 Woo hoo!
|Distance||Time / Bike|
|184 miles||Biked in December 20133|
|2,162 miles||Biked in 20134|
|1,997 miles||Biked on Sage5|
How was your 2013 on the bike? I’m looking forward to seeing what 2014 brings.
As I look back over my posts from 2013, these are my favorites.1
Sometimes I post more than a picture or what I’m doing. These are some (most?) of this type of post.
- Marriage is Not Just a Label — my take on gay marriage
- Two Gallons of Blood — I hit a milestone
- Morning Commute Part XVI — poetry, even!
- Cell Phone Service Pricing — what if electricity were priced like cell phone service?
- Is Government Employment Down? — fact-checking the Wall Street Journal (they passed2)
- Let Me Tell You About My Bike — bragging ’bout Sage
Once in a while, I post others’ words. I like these especially well.
- Tobert Brault on Accepting Apologies
- David Akin on Engineering
- Roger Ebert: The Boulder Pledge
- Edward Snowden on Freedom
- Scott Adams on Edward Snowden
- Evan Williams on News
Here is some of the more family-specific stuff.
- I Got a New Bike
- Heather Graduates
- Mousse Getting Bigger
- Sunriver Family Vacation 2013
- Happy Birthday, Ashley!
- In Memory, Donna Duffield
Some of what I post is part of a series. Clicking the hashtag at the end of a post will show you every post having that hashtag.
Carrying a camera with me most of the time, I take a lot of pictures. I take pictures during my bicycle commute. I take pictures when I fly. I even take pictures while I wait for my flight. And I post a bunch of them.
Of the pictures I took and posted in 2013, these are nine of my favorite.
Click the pictures to enlarge them. You can then use your arrow keys to move between them.
Finally, I include my favorite animated GIF from the year.
That makes an even ten. Do you have a favorite? Did I miss your favorite?
When we visit our relatives near Dixie, we are usually blessed with beautiful sunsets. This trip was no exception.